Monday, May 29, 2006

Time to Take Charge -- Watch Out World!

The idea of taking charge of one's medical program is the single most common practice among survivors. It is the cornerstone of a strategic recovery plan.
-- Greg Anderson, Author of Cancer: 50 Essential Things to Do

The dictionary defines Optimal as "most desirable" or "favorable. I define optimal care as individualized or customized care that is neither undertreatment nor overtreatment for each woman's particular situation. It is a treatment that gives each woman the best chance of being cured with the fewest side effects and disruption to her life. I believe that as many as 40 percent of women in this country with newly diagnosed breast cancer do not receive optimal care.
--Take Charge of your Breast Cancer-- A guide to Getting the Best Possible Treatment by John Link, MD

I've had it. I'm going to be more assertive about my treatment. I think initially I was so freaked out by the diagnosis that I just went along with whatever they said. Not anymore, they've bungled and botched and they don't get my situation. I do. I know my body, my disease, my situation better than anyone and I didn't trust that initially. Things are gonna change.

No comments: