Monday, January 02, 2006

Crazy Dad

There are parents that get crazy by the fact that their kids have distinct personalities. These are the same parents that actually believe that they birth a lump of clay and can mold them to their heart's content. Really, it's hard to believe in this day and age that anyone can deny that "children are not our children...they are the sons and the daughters of life longing for itself".

So this precocious little girl in our neighborhood has been planning to give some girls a dance class for days. It just so happens that my middle child is one of the planned participants. She's called no less than 4 times in the last 4 days talking about what, when, and where this event will take place. Clearly, the fun is in the planning. Cool. Whatever.

Today was supposed to be the day of said dance class and my middle daughter was excited to talk to the 5 year old dance instructor about the days activities. She called, dialed the number and had a conversation with minimal parent involvement. My style of parenting is benign neglect. Then finds me, thrusts the phone at me and says "Emily's dad wants to talk to you.".

Blah, blah, don't know what the plan is...my wife isn't here...but I guess the class will be whenever it's most convenient FOR YOU...said sarcastically and obnoxiously as though somehow my kid calling was inconvenient or rude or at worst MY INDULGENCE. Somehow a way for me to pawn off my charge. What the fuck. The last thing I need is to get in an adolescent rant with an adult...I've got kids for that.

Man, it pissed me off. It was HIS kid wanting to get together with my kid. There were tons of phone calls planning the event. This had nothing to do with me or my kid.

No comments: