Thursday, November 29, 2007

7 Random Hatha Mama Moments

1. My third daughter was born in the cul. I remember being confused when my bag of waters was bulging out of me but then Celia's head was born into the bag, under water in the birth pool in my bedroom. I will never forget the joy when she was first born. Paul was in the pool with me. He was supporting me from behind and my other two daughters were looking on. The midwife snapped pictures and I birthed my baby right on to my chest.

2. My third daughter is laying next to me in bed, breathing the sweet sound of childhood. She's nearly 5. She is still my baby. I sit with the laptop and type this out.

3. My father worked at a nuclear power plant and once when I was in highschool he came home in a paper suit after being contaminated. They had taken all his clothes and scrubbed him raw. Later, he sued them because it was the company's fault and they're team of lawyers would make my dad feel like shit every time he went to court. He would come home and say...I just want an apology. He never got one but did get a lame settlement that probably just paid their bills for a few months.

4. I saw a number of Quetzales in Guatemala. They are the most amazing birds. In fact, somewhere I have a lifetime bird list where I keep track of all the birds I've seen in the wild.

I've seen ptarmigan in Alaska and nearly every raptor in North America. In the early eighties I worked on the border of a Condor refuge and got to see a live California Condor in the wild.

5. This is my oldest daughter's EIGHTH year in the Nutcracker. I worked back stage today and will work all weekend. She's totally psyched because the winner of "So You Think You Can Dance", Sabra and the runner up from Buffalo, Neil are doing the Pasa Doble at this production.

6. I once visited a friend who was dying. I was alone with her in the room and I didn't know what to do. She was drugged and not "in" her body. She wasn't really conscious. I talked to her and then held her hand. I then started rubbing and caressing her hand and she flinched and tried to pull her hand away. I guess even unconscious she was able to get her point across. Stop touching me. I have an aunt who's biggest fear is that she'll lose her ability to communicate and someone will think it's a good idea to do some pet therapy with her. She hates animals.

7. Two days ago I was at a teacher's meeting at the yoga studio that I'm working at. I'll be teaching three classes. I can't believe it. When I choose the name for this blog, I was nervous that it might be presumptuous. I wasn't a yoga instructor, I didn't have a regular home practice. I just knew that it was where I wanted to be. And now I'm here. I just made space for it.

My new friend at Living Out LOUD shot this challenge of 7 random moments at me. Thanks Mango Mama.

1 comment:

Mango Mama said...

No, Barb, thank you. What beautiful, thoughtful tidbits you offered and congrats! in the actualization of your aspiration. Mango Mama!