Monday, December 03, 2007

The Mind is a Butterfly

There is a memoir about a man who is conscious in his shell of a body after a coma at 42 years old. He learns to live without a body, with only a consciousness. Only his thoughts, imagination and a Buddhist sense of order to the mind. Indeed, what we all have to work with to find the truth which is present in each of our simple, finicky, selfish, pathetic and most beautiful minds. We all are drawn through a vortex called life to this thing called GOD, the almighty connection to all. It is frightening and we resist often, pulling back at times because the awe of it can take your breath away...literally. A part of you dies. Letting go is hard to do. If you don't get it this lifetime, ... well, pick your religion. And ask the question. Will you have another chance? As a person or cow? Will you burn in hell? Or heaven? What is it that will bring us to God. What will drop YOU to your knees. I was described in the past as a pit bull. Tough. In my life, there was only one thing to bring me to my knees and thank God it was only cancer. From this humbling place I've come to know God.
Back to the memoir...The Diving Bell and the Butterfly It has just been made into a movie and the director won at Cannes. I can't wait to see this movie.

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

I've been pondering this lately. I've come out of "cancer" a different person. I'm not quick to anger but I also will not play in unreality. If I engage in behavior or thoughts that aren't real...for instance, taking blame and being apologetic for the sake of peace it is just as bad as being quick to anger. It is unhealthy. Being clear and forthright without anger or malace (I'm talking about when there is conflict or inappropriate behavior going on in others around me)and simply stating the reality of the situation without emotion is a healthy responce. In other words, I'm not a crazy angry bitch anymore but that doesn't mean I'm not going to call you on shit.

1 comment:

Mama Kim said...

Saraswati,
I hear the spiritual teacher in you BIG TIME. I love "calling people on the shit" and I also think the fine line is to do it without judgement, because as we judge others, we also judge ourselves. I am so grateful for your blog, so grateful to read your wonderful insights, so grateful for you. It's also so great to read your comments on Mango Mama's blog:)

All my Love,

Mama Kim