Sunday, July 09, 2006

MR f 'ing I

After the appt for the unnecessary ductogram and after the weeping in the radiologist's office and after she asked me what I wanted to do, did I want an MRI, I just cried. When I met this radiologist she was a close talker, right in my face and making me feel very awkward. Her first words out of her mouth were, "So, you choose to have chemo." This in itself-- through me into a tizzy. It made things sould like a want something that isn't a reasonable option. I KNOW I'm sensitive to it. And maybe they are too...but I have the entire tumor board at Johns Hopkins behind me. It is the right thing to do. It wasn't really a choice. I need chemo. I have cancer cells in 4 of my lymphnodes and they've figured out how to move. I need chemo. Anyway, I asked for an MRI over a month ago...to check to see if the 1mm invasive tumor in my breast IS the primary tumor. Dr 'nucci hemmed and hawed and called Dr Levine and wanted to know what I thought. I honestly had no thoughts except that I wanted to be done with this scene...the cancer scene. Finally she said yes. I'd get a call in the morning for the MRI. They called at 10 and asked if I could be there by noon. My mom came and picked up my kids and I went.

It was one of the worst moments of this entire process. I was alone in this scary tube trying to communicate with the staff and no one was listening and they didn't respond to my shouting or hand waving. Finally I just gave up and tried to calm myself from having a nervous breakdown--breathe, breathe, pray, breathe, no use my heart is bounding out of my chest. I try again to say something during the lull in the machine...nothing. I move my hands...nothing. Finally the test is over and they pull me out. I say, "That was really tough. I didn't expect that." The dumb ass nurse said to me, "Well, some things you need to study up on." I could feel the emotion bubbling up to the surface...the sobbing begins...as I say"You want me, the person who just moved to thia state less than 1 week ago, with 3 small children, diagnosed with breastcancer, starting chemo on Monday to do more research on this machine that you are supposidly an expert on. Tell me ... what is your job? ::::::sob::::: Defensive nurse now says, "Well, didn't they talk to you during the test?" :::::sob:::: "No!" "Oh, that's why." As I was leaving, the woman who did my test said, "You looked so calm and you didn't move, I didn't know there was a problem. Next time take adivan (sedative)"

Things I thought about while I was in the machine alone and frieghtened for 50 minutes.
  • My kids and how strong they are.
  • My husband.
  • Jesus, Mary and Joseph. Said some Hail Mary's and Lords Prayers.
  • mantra...I am beautiful and perfect.
  • had a few nam myoho renge kyo's flash by
  • monty python players making sound effects with coconuts thanks to "cancer made me a shallower person"

I'm really glad that's over.

I shaved my haed this evening. It's phase I. There is still hair...maybe 3/8" . It looks alright. R &E helped with the clipping. I'll wait to shave it bald until after Monday.

No comments: