Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Halloween

Geeze Louise. Tomorrow I'm starting NaNoWriMo. I'll be writing a novel in 30 days. I still am not sure which story I'm going to write yet. Yikes. I have a couple good ones brewing but don't have an idea of how they actually end or really a clear idea of where I'll start tomorrow. Crazy. I'll try to continue to blog throughout the process and may even include some excerpts.

I started a pottery class last Monday. I went again yesterday and as it turns out I'm great at it. The instructors were amazed. I think it's my super power that I gained from being dipped in chemo poison. Anyway, yesterday I cranked out two gorgeous bowls and 3 plates. Keep in mind this was my second class and most people were struggling with centering the clay on the wheel. I just love the feeling of clay, the abondonment of worry, life and everything when I'm working on a piece. I'm just concerned with molding it into something beautiful. It's so freeing. I wish I could spend my days in a studio. I haven't been happier in months, years? I don't know.

I'm actually enjoying the process of throwing clay more than writing. It's less emotional. It's just what it is and I don't have to explain myself or anyone else. I love it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You will love this quote from Chris Baty (NaNoWriMo founder):

"Writing a novel is like working with clay. You first create a rough shape, then massage that shape into something beautiful, such as an ashtray or a fearsome army of worms. Unlike potters, though, who can simply buy clay at the art supply store, novelists have to pull of the supernatural feat of creating their clay with their minds. It's an amazing accomplishment, really, and it's also why postponing judgment of your work until the end of your first draft is so important. What you started producing yesterday is noveling clay -- valuable, essential, and invariably lumpy. Its beauty will grow as you work it."

So work it, Barb!