Saturday, October 28, 2006

Saturday with electricity and phone!

I know. I know. It's "not about the hair" but can I tell you how geeked I am that my hair is coming back. Today when I came out of the shower and dried myself I was stunned when I rubbed my head and their was actually water accumulated in my fuzz. I was so thrilled. It's been months since I've had any hair. I slowly went shorter over the months in anticipation of possibly losing my hair so, that by the time it came out in clumps it was only about a quarter of an inch long. I had very thick hair and although it was short there were several million (who knows exactly how many hairs we have on our head?) very short hairs. Within a day I probably went down to 100 and then within the 2 months I was on chemo I probably went down to about 10 stray hairs. So, imagine my surprise when I could account for some water in my fuzz. Wow. I'm going to be done with this a be well, be better for it. This is a hopeful thought.

I love my radiation oncologist. She's right out of her residency and she's smart and idealistic. I love her. Her name is Dr. Fernando and she's great. My radiation techs are another story. There is one I kinda like. One is a smoker (yuk!) and she's the one that told me I'd get used to it. "It" being walking with a hospital gown untied through a waiting room full of people. I said that would be impossible and no one should be forced to lose their dignity even if they have cancer. I'm not "used to it" and choose to wear a sweater over my gown but IT is getting easier.

1 comment:

Christina said...

There is a great movie about how a doctor learned, through having an illness of his own, to treat his patients with more humanity....I think it's called "The Doctor" actually. I don't know how you would get used to "it"...I don't think you're supposed to. You're supposed to do what you have to do to get well, and move on. And you're doing that like a warrior. How strong you are to be doing the things that you are doing with your body right now.